Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Say good-bye to store bought chocolate syrup!!

I found a blog post about homemade chocolate syrup.  I'd come across it a few times before, but seeing as how we hardly use chocolate syrup in our house, and I've bought it only a handful of times during our almost 14 years of marriage, I quickly ignored it and went along my merry way.  Yesterday however, for some unknown reason, I saw this post AGAIN, and this time it just kind of struck my fancy.  Simple ingredients, minimal time investment, my kind of recipe.  So I decided to go ahead and give it a try, but I opted to replace the sugar with a Xylitol blend that I buy at my local Ralph's to make it a little healthier, and let me tell you, it's pretty fantastic!


Ingredients:
1 1/2 C. Xylitol (or sugar)
3/4 C. Unsweetened Cocoa powder (I used good ol' Hershey's)
1 C. Water
dash of salt
1 tsp. vanilla

In a small saucepan, add Xylitol, cocoa powder, and salt.  Whisk together well.  Add water and bring the mixture to a boil, stirring occasionally.  Reduce the heat to medium and cook 1 min.  Remove from heat and add vanilla.  Cool and store in the refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment