Thursday, May 10, 2012

The Brotherhood of Love...

I'm often amused at the situations God uses to teach me more about Himself, or to grow me in my walk.  It usually occurs in the mundane, day-to-day activities.  There I am, completing a task I've done a thousand times before, and BAM!  God hits me over the head with some profound realization about His goodness, His provision, or a million other little lessons He gently teaches me in the midst of busy days.

Parenting has proven to be one of God's major tools in my life.  I had absolutely no idea of the depth of God's sacrifice on my behalf until the first time I held my little girl in my arms.  I certainly had never noticed what an obnoxious backseat driver I could be (my poor hubby!) until I heard a little mimicking voice call out from the back of the car.  Listening to my children's prayers has taught me the power and beauty of simple faith.  And here I thought I was the one who was supposed to be teaching them!

This week one of my boys made a bad decision and lost his pocket knife as a result.  The offending child was pretty heart broken, as he clips that thing onto his belt loop every morning (you know, just to be prepared!).  A little later that morning his brother came to me and asked if we could talk in private.  We went into my room, and this child proceded to plead with me on behalf of his brother.  He begged me not to take the knife away, or at the least, to only take it away for a limited time.  His little heart was broken for his brother, and he was moved to plead his brother's cause with me.

And there it was.  Am I moved in that way to plead before my heavenly Father for my brothers and sisters?  Do I bear their burdens and carry them before our Father who wants good things for His children?  If I was moved by my child, how much more so must God be when His children come to Him on behalf of one another?

So, I'll pray.  And I'll pray that God would not allow me to grow weary in praying.  And I'll trust that He will do what is best for His children.  And I'll trust that He will never stop teaching me new truths in the everyday moments...

4 comments:

  1. GREAT post! Love, love, love! So true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post blesses my heart so deeply...mostly because I can remember a little girl who spent all her allowance to get her little brother something she knew he really wanted badly. That sacrifical gift taught me to "consider one another as more important than myself." Thank you for teaching your mom so many lessons sweetheart. I love you.

    ReplyDelete